Thursday, February 3, 2011

Gong Hey Fat Choy

I'd been thinking about starting a blog for a while, and today thought what better way to start than New Year - the Year of the Rabbit.  Today was also auspicious as the kids started back at school, and I now can do some serious painting before my exhibition on 20 February.


After dinner tonight we went for a walk/bike along our local river the Wai-iti. It's something we should do more often as it is a lovely spot. Last summer we did go frequently when we had Charlie goat. He'd ride in the boot of my car, and loved to run along the path stopping to graze on blackberries and convulvulus.



So while everyone else wandered I took photos, it was lovely and warm, the light was soft and this walk always reminds me of England for some reason. I think it's all the willow trees and  "weeds" such as fennel, hawthorns, etc. Volunteers have planted lots of native trees so in a few years time it will look quite different.





It also has a bit of a touch of Tuscany with the grapes!


As we left I even found some "street art" if you can call it that- under the bridge.

Over the other side of the river there is a layby that an old guy - know locally as "the secret gardener" has made into a garden. A bit strange with geraniums and dahlias etc (couldn't actually bring myself to photograph it.) As I drove back from art group this afternoon I spotted a sign he'd placed in a tree.



Also had have a giggle at the picnic table. At first  I thought some boy racers had left some graffiti. But no the sign was in chalk and read:
"PLEASE DRIVE VERY GENTLY OVER "WIDEN" STRIP AS ROADING IS MOST DELICATE".
I chortled at the very quaint phrasing of the road worker who had written these words quite painstakingly (I did take a photo, but it was hard to get it all in the frame as I was not tall enough!) and wondered if any boy racers would take heed. Here's a photo of the picnic table, note the "secret gardener" has added a blue rubbish bag and two beer crates as stools. Definitely not the council's standard features at picnic areas.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sally Thanks for stopping by Planet Baby and becoming a Planetarian. I'm your very first follower - woo hoo! I'm looking forward to following your blog - let me know if you have any problems as I've picked up a few tips on the way. J x

    ReplyDelete