Friday, October 14, 2011

Oi You!

I took the kids and a couple of their friends to the Oi You Urban Art exhibition in Nelson yesterday, it's on as part of the annual Arts Festival. Definitely well worth it, and it was free!

It's on a Founders Park, which is a heritage park/ living museum, and is where they hold a lot of the Arts Festival events. The drawcard was the international collection of street art, which was pretty amazing. All the catalogues had gone, so I just had to appreciate them for what they were, and had no idea who had done them, apart form the obvious Banksy ones.

International artists were; Banksy, Paul Insect, Faile Collective, Adam Neate, Antony Micallef and David Choe.





That's a tiny selection of the "international" selection. There was also a national competition of street art which had some great pieces.

Another section was re-makes of famous NZ artworks; my favourites were Rita Angus' "Cass" and Bill Hammond's birdlands with a Placemakers slant!


 There was another room with pieces made by the Oi You! collective.
And a wall of corrugated iron where the kids left their mark. Mr H did his "trademark' bowl of fruit! I love how it turned out, he was worried about the shading and the angle of the light!
 After all that culture the kids had a good run around outside. They enjoyed the freedom of walking down the railway tracks. This is the only railway Nelson has now, and it was the first place in NZ to get a railway! Then they pushed a train. I had to drag them away.

1 comment:

  1. What a great festival. I do like street art and have seen some top new pieces along the train line I commute to work along.

    Thanks for the comment on my post. It is quite disgusting and I wish I had the stomach for eating meat - all of it. It does seem wasteful to kill an animal and not eat it all but I am glad sheep's head is no longer on any menu I've seen.

    ReplyDelete